The political demonstration organized by SAK (Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Union) and AKT’s (Transport Workers’ Union) work stoppage on February 2 may have an effect on mail delivery, if realized. According to the current estimate, they would delay deliveries in some parts of Finland by 1–3 days.
“We will have a more detailed estimate on Wednesday when we have completed our discussions with our personnel about arranging work. It’s important for us to minimize the inconvenience for our customers. We will resort to exceptional arrangements wherever possible,” says Jarmo Ainasoja, Director of Posti’s Control Centre.
Should the demonstrations take place, the sorting, transport and delivery of post will be slowed down on February 2, and the backlog can only be processed after the weekend on Monday, February 5. The demonstrations may also affect customer service and Posti’s service points.
- deliveries related to the health and safety of customers, such as blood deliveries, laboratory samples, grocery deliveries, meal deliveries and care services. They will be organized as usual.
- the early-morning delivery of newspapers in some areas on Friday. According to the current estimate, the effects are local and only affect Friday. Posti will agree upon any possible exceptional arrangements with publishers.
- the delivery of domestic letters, magazines, direct marketing items, parcels and freight and the delivery of newspapers delivered with day mail in some areas. According to the current estimate, the delay caused by SAK’s demonstration would be 1–3 days. Please note! For instance, if a letter item should be delivered on Monday, February 5 at the latest, you should send it on Tuesday, January 30.
- international letters and parcels. If realized, AKT’s work stoppage will shut down all Finnish ports of exportation on Friday. Demonstration will also affect international items transported by air. According to the current estimate, the delay for international postal items would be 1–3 days.
- Posti Customer Service and congestion in some of Posti's service points and in postal outlets located on affiliates’ premises.
More detailed estimates will be communicated daily.