Further contributing to its strategy of growth in food logistics and temperature-controlled transport, Posti is buying Kuljetus Kovalainen Oy, a Finnish company specializing in food product transport, which has a personnel of approximately 180 and net sales of around EUR 15 million.
- Posti is strengthening its market position especially in the field of temperature-controlled transport in Northern Finland. Joining forces with Kovalainen enables us to offer extensive logistics services in Northern Finland, Ostrobothnia and Lapland, says Jaakko Kaidesoja, head of Posti's transport services.
The transaction will not affect existing employment relationships. Kovalainen's fleet of approximately 100 vehicles will be transferred to Posti.
Martti Kovalainen, Managing Director of Kuljetus Kovalainen, is pleased with the deal. He emphasizes the opportunity to provide better customer service in collaboration with Posti.
- We are very happy to continue serving all of our customers together with Posti. From now on, companies operating in Ostrobothnia, Northern Finland and Lapland will also have a sustainable, competitive logistics solution for their transport needs to Southern Finland and export purposes.
In June, Posti bought Veine, a logistics company specializing in food logistics. Posti believes that new logistics arrangements and partnerships bring competitiveness to companies operating in the sector. Jaakko Kaidesoja states that Kuljetus Kovalainen will further complement Posti's offering as a continuum to the transaction with Veine and enhance Posti's position in the field of temperature-controlled products, especially in terms of geographical coverage.
- Posti's aim is to offer comprehensive food logistics services to the Finnish food sector at large.
Posti's current food logistics services include meal deliveries in about 100 municipalities, delivery of food purchased at online stores, beverage logistics for brewing industry operators, B2B supply chain solutions for dried food and transport of bakery products.
The plan is to complete the transaction on October 10, 2016. The parties have agreed not to disclose the transaction price.
Kuljetus Kovalainen Oy in brief
- Approximately 180 employees
- Operates in six localities: Oulu, Pello, Kemi, Rovaniemi, Sodankylä and Seinäjoki.
- Solid expert in food logistics, services include pastry product transport
- Established in 1990
- Received the Regional Developer of the Year award by the Regional Council of Lapland in 2015 for its determined long-term efforts to develop the transport industry, which is very important especially in Northern Finland, where distances are very long
- Second place in the International Road Transport Union's (IRU) Best EU Haulier competition in 2014
- Transport Company of the Year award from the Finnish Transport and Logistics SKAL in 2014.